The Holy Family|
Home/ Events/ History/ Bursary/ Cemetery/ Restoration/ Archives/ Cookbook/ Links
The Holy Family, the circular stained glass which figures prominently in the Chancel, was given to the Leith United Church in 1952 by Laura Webster and dedicated to the memory of her daughter Frances. It was designed by Ellen Simon and created in glass by Yvonne Williams, both prominent 20th century members of the Canadian arts community. The Madonna and Child section of the window was featured on the 52-cent Christmas stamp issued by Canada Post in 1997.
Adherents of the Church of Scotland, known to them as The Auld Kirk, built Leith Church in 1865.
It became a Presbyterian Church a few years later and joined the United Church of Canada when it was formed in 1925. The Leith Pioneer Cemetery in the churchyard is also a designated heritage site where the grave of the renowned Canadian landscape painter Tom Thomson is located. Leith Church is open for public viewing on summer Sunday afternoons and on special occasions. The annual Anniversary Service is celebrated on the first Sunday in August.